I got this recipe from my Cooks Country Cookbook, you can read my blog post about that by clicking here.
This recipe was simple and easy, only using a handful of ingredients you probably have on hand!
I always like to pair a grilled cheese sandwich with my tomato soup, as I thought everyone else did too. But I was wrong! When I started hanging out with Ryan, he had no idea why you would put grilled cheese and tomato soup together. No. Idea.
He’s a firm believer of the “grilled cheese and tomato soup” partnership now, as everyone should be!
Okay, onto the recipe!
- Olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- About 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop up your onion and cook with olive oil over medium high heat , until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup, strain the juice out of the tomatoes. Add broth until the liquid measures to 4 cups.
- Add 3 out of the 4 cans of tomatoes to the pan with onions, add bay leaf, brown sugar, and salt and stir. Let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, add tomato paste and flour and stir well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the liquid, mixing well. Add the baking soda, and stir.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches. Return to pot, add milk and stir.
- Enjoy with a grilled cheese sandwich 😉